Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Maids Of Honour Cakes Recipe
Recipe dated from 1525 AD when Henry VIII tried on at his court.
* 1/2 pint whole milk
* 2 tablespoons fine dried bread crumbs
* 4 oz butter; melted
* 2 ounces ground almonds
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 3 large eggs
* 1 lemon zested
* 2 dozen round puff pastry shells (1 to 2 inches in diameter)
1. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine milk and bread crumbs.
2. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the bread mixture, butter, almonds, sugar, and zest; mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 350^F.
5. Fill each pastry shell with a tablespoon of filling.
6. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
8. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve.